Senior Scientific Consultant
With over a decade of expertise in building cutting-edge scientific systems, John is a seasoned professional in the realm of cloud infrastructure, data management systems, web applications, and APIs—particularly within the fields of medical devices and life sciences research.
Before becoming an integral part of BioTeam in 2016, John honed his skills as a scientific systems developer at the University of Florida’s Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research. During his tenure, he specialized in the creation of efficient, user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing, and scalable laboratory information management software, contributing significantly to the center’s research and cyberinfrastructure initiatives.
John has also made impactful strides in the startup landscape, where he played a pivotal role in a sleep-science based medical device company. Here, he wrote software that collected, analyzed, and interpreted data crucial for the diagnosis of sleep and cardiac disorders.
John’s passion for technological innovation and his extensive experience make him a valuable asset to BioTeam, where he continues to push the boundaries of what’s possible in the intersection of technology and life sciences. His dedication to creating solutions that seamlessly integrate into the medical and research ecosystems reflects a commitment to excellence and a deep understanding of the critical role technology plays in advancing healthcare and scientific discovery.
- Cloud infrastructure design
- Cloud-native data management systems
- Full stack web application and API development
- Medical device firmware development
- Interactive data visualization
- Workflow automation and optimization
- BI pipeline cloud enablement
- Database design and management
- Scientific application UI/UX
- Virtualization and containers
- Software QA and testing
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- Microsoft Azure
- Golang, TypeScript, Ruby, Python, C
- Postgres, MongoDB, DuckDB
- Kubernetes, Docker
- React, Backbone.js, Ember.js
- Next-Gen and Sanger DNA Sequencing
- Hybridoma Cell Line Database and Inventory Management
- Genomics and Multi-omics Bioinformatics Infrastructure
John is an avid outdoor enthusiast that regularly enjoys hiking, climbing, fly-fishing, mountain biking, and running in the beautiful states of Colorado and Florida. When not found outside in his freetime, John enjoys experimenting with embedded hardware systems, LoRaWan networking, self-hosted LLMs, and will occasionally boot up a puzzle, strategy, or team-based video game.