BioTeam Inc., a scientific computing consulting company, today announced that it has been awarded a 5-year (one base year of $3.3M plus four option years) contract by the National Eye Institute (NEI). BioTeam will lead and operate NEI’s Office of the Scientific Information Officer to provide NEI with scientific IT leadership and strategy and support in bioinformatics, scientific IT infrastructure development, data management, and scientific IT operations. This award continues BioTeam’s long-standing collaboration with NEI to implement and provide NEI researchers with effective and state-of-the-art scientific IT services.
One of 27 institutes and centers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), NEI’s vision is to eliminate vision loss and improve quality of life through vision research. In support of this mission, NEI has an extensive intramural research program that conducts targeted research into various aspects of ocular health.
Under this Award, BioTeam will provide services to NEI in the following areas:
- Office of the Scientific Information Officer (OSIO): BioTeam will lead the NEI Office of the Scientific Information Office to provide NEI leadership and NEI researchers with effective scientific IT strategy and advice.
- NEI Bioinformatics Core: BioTeam will operate the NEI OSIO Bioinformatics Core in collaboration with NEI scientific and IT leadership, NEI scientists, and NEI’s IT Management Branch. The NEI OSIO Bioinformatics Core provides NEI IRP scientists with dedicated support across a broad range of scientific areas, including data analysis, programming, workflows, and algorithm development.
- Scientific IT Infrastructure Development and Support: BioTeam will support NEI with the planning, development, implementation, and operations of NEI’s scientific IT infrastructure for storage, computing, and data management on-premises and in the Cloud.
- Data Management: BioTeam will collaborate closely with NEI’s Office of Data Science and Health Informatics to support the data management needs of NEI researchers, including training, best practices, data management strategies, and policy development, focusing on expanding the various data management efforts underway at NEI
- Scientific IT Operations: BioTeam will provide NEI with technical scientific IT device support to fill existing scientific IT gaps.
“BioTeam has collaborated with NEI since 2019 to design strategies, implement measures, and provide support to transform its scientific IT infrastructure, services, and organization,” said Dr. Ari Berman, CEO at BioTeam. “We are honored that NEI has chosen to expand its relationship with us to continue to build a scientific IT infrastructure that increases scientific researchers’ ability to support the NEI mission.”
“This new contract will allow us to build on the work we’ve been doing at NEI for the last five years,” said Dr. Bhanu Rekepalli, Vice President of Government Services at BioTeam. “Transforming NEI’s Scientific IT infrastructure and services has required our unique combination of expertise in strategy, advanced technology, data science, organizational and cultural dynamics—together with deep science knowledge. We’re excited to have the opportunity to further advance these innovations at NEI.”
BioTeam, Inc. is a scientific computing consulting company passionate about accelerating scientific discovery by closing the gap between what scientists want to do with data—and what they can do. Working at the intersection of science, data and technology since 2002, we solve the most challenging research, technical, and operational problems that impact scientific data quality and accessibility. To increase efficiency of scientific data ecosystems we align people, processes, and culture with data science strategies, high-performance computing, and advanced technologies. BioTeam has collaborated with leaders in life science research, from biotech startups to the largest global pharmaceutical companies, federal government agencies, and academic research institutions. For more information visit bioteam.net